I have been in a terrible funk lately. There has been so much negativity in my life that has overshadowed the good lately, mostly from the stuff that, well, is negative in my life (I will just say it; it’s work. I am in a bad place with my job. No one cares about that though, with good reason, and I will now shut up about it). When times like these arise, I like to try to remember all the good things in life, my wife, my child, my friends, the bottle of 12 year old Jameson I got for father’s day. For the purposes of this column though, the thing in my life that makes me happy is music, specifically Iowa music. So let’s talk about the things in Iowa music that makes me happy, and maybe I will stop being such a weird emo jerk.
- Lane Weaver’s verse on Little Ruckus’ “Creep Town”.
- The slightly drunken revelry of North of Grand.
- The River Monks’ “Yellow, Blue and Green”.
- Phil Young from Tires’ power drill.
- The blunt honesty of Maxilla Blue MC Asphate Woodhavet.
- The weird fake door at Vaudeville Mews. (Why is it locked? Why is it a real door? Where does it lead? So many questions).
- Mickey Davis.
- Amy Badger from Love Songs For Lonely Monsters’ on stage facial expressions.
- Envy Corps’ “Exchequer”
- When Nate Logsdon goes cross-eyed for seemingly no reason.
- Watching the river at Simon Estes Amphitheater.
- Richie Daggers beats and the MC’s who rhyme over them.
- Jen Allen.
- Watching people set up for a show. It is oddly fascinating to me.
- The windows behind the stage at Gas Lamp.
- Christopher the Conquered’s live show. All of it.
- When I get to watch an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba that has Leslie Hall.
- How well dressed John Solarz always is.
- The talent at Des Moines Music Coalition (especially Jill Haverkamp, Ann Klein, Becky Migas, Antonio Rodriguez, Bryon Dudley and Chris Lachky).
- Pretty much anything that either of the Rabalais Brothers have ever done (Utopia Park, Animal, Surgery, Trouble Lights, Little Ruckus, etc.).
- Watching Jordan Sellergren of Milk and Eggs sing with her eyes closed.
- The once a month or so I listen to Skye Carrasco’s Dark Pines
- Rebel Creek’s guitar solos.
- Looking at all the photos on the wall at The M-Shop.
- The patio at Bombay Bicycle Club.
- When Locusic plays something I haven’t heard before.
There are so many more, but I don’t have all the space. Also, I just went stream of conscious, so I’m sure I forgot some. So, I will toss it to you. Maybe throw some in the comments and we will be happy together.
Try Not To Miss Shows (6/21 – 6/27)
A free show to rally supporters for DMSC’s Fire House proposal. With Ladysoal, Christopher the Conquered, Patrick Tape Fleming and Nate Logsdon. Oh, and it’s free. Just go.
80/35 Play In w/ Love Songs For Lonely Monsters, Holy White Hounds, and Seedlings – Gas Lamp 6pm 6/21
Three awesome bands that would be a great show regardless of the circumstances, but this will determine who gets a spot on the main stage at 80/35. So awesome.
Dan Tedesco – Gas Lamp 6/23 9pm
Awesome folk rock from a talented singer-songwriter
Girl Talk w/ Little Ruckus and Trouble Lights – Wooly’s 6/25 7pm
I include this mostly to show that it moved from Val Air and so people know that Ruckus and Trouble Lights open. Uh, yeah. Awesome.
K. Flay – Vaudeville Mews 6/26 8pm
Interesting take on hip hop from a don’t judge a book by its cover talent.